Applying for a Grant
We ask each organization to carefully review the Foundation’s Mission and Guiding Principles, and our grants program descriptions before applying for a grant. Seeking a grant from the Benedum Foundation is a highly competitive process. As you might expect, the Foundation receives more applications each year than we are able to fund, meaning that a number of proposals which fall within the description of the Foundation’s grants program may not be selected for funding.
If you are unsure as to the alignment of your project with our guidelines, or have not yet spoken with a member of our Program Staff, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with a brief summary of your project. A member of our Program Staff will be in touch within 10 business days of your inquiry.
Funding Focus by Region
The Foundation generally does not make grants in support of:
- Organizations located outside West Virginia or Southwestern Pennsylvania
- Organizations not exempt from taxation under Internal Revenue Code
- Student aid, fellowships, or travel
- Construction or equipment
- Ongoing operating expenses
- National organizations
- Biomedical research
- Religious organizations for religious purposes
- Individual elementary and secondary schools
- Annual appeals or membership drives
- Conferences, films, books, and audio-visual productions, unless an integral part of a Foundation-supported program
After reviewing the information listed above, submit your application using the Foundation’s online grant application process. The Foundation does not have submission deadlines and applications are accepted throughout the year.