Before applying for a grant, applicants should carefully review the Foundation’s Mission and Guiding Principles, and our grants program descriptions. Seeking a grant from the Benedum Foundation is a highly competitive process. As you might expect, the Foundation receives more applications each year than we are able to fund, which means that even some proposals that fit within the description of the Foundation’s grants program may not be selected for funding.
If you are unsure as to the alignment of your project with our guidelines, or have not yet spoken with a Program Director, please email a brief summary of your project to email@example.com. A member of our program staff will be in touch within ten business days of your inquiry.
The Foundation generally does not make grants in support of:
- Organizations located outside West Virginia or Southwestern Pennsylvania
- Organizations not exempt from taxation under Internal Revenue Code Section 501(c)(3)
- Student aid, fellowships, or travel
- Construction or equipment
- Ongoing operating expenses
- National organizations
- Biomedical research
- Religious organizations for religious purposes
- Individual elementary and secondary schools
- Annual appeals or membership drives
- Conferences, films, books, and audio-visual productions, unless an integral part of a Foundation-supported program
After reviewing the information listed above, submit your application using the Foundation’s online grant application process.
The Foundation does not have submission deadlines, and applications are accepted throughout the year. Once we receive your completed online application, an automated response will be sent to you acknowledging receipt. You should receive a response to your application within 60 days, at which time you will be notified if your project is not one the Foundation can consider, or if we are in need of additional information.